2007 ALCS Game 7
I walk down Yawkey Way with the great sound of Boston Red Sox fans shouting and cheering after the Red Sox win. It was Game 7 of the 2007 ALCS, and the Red Sox won, of course. But there was something special about tonight unlike any other Red Sox wins. The Red Sox were going to the World Series for the second time in the decade. People were going crazy at this point and why not? The Red Sox were going for their second World Series title in three years. Boston fans had every right to be happy. So happy that people yelled and screamed Sweet Caroline all the way home. Fans would give each other high fives even if they didn’t know each other. I glanced over at my mom and asked “Is it always this crazy when the Red Sox win?”
“I’m afraid so James. People can get pretty crazy over the Red Sox.” As soon as she finished, I saw a cop dancing on a cop car. Wow was all I thought. If this was the ALCS, then I couldn’t wait to see a World Series game. I replayed the image of Jonathan Papelbon throwing his glove sky high in the air. That memory I will always have. One split-second a ball is flying through the cold October air, and another second the Indians are sent home packing. The noise was unimaginable when they won. At once Dirty Water blasted all around the stadium and I couldn’t help but sing along. I hugged my mom as hard as I could and yelled, “We did it again! We’re going to the World Series!” So many images played back in my head at the same moment. Dustin Pedroia’s shot over the Monster, everyone throwing up their arms at the same moment, or even the wise guy cracking jokes at the umpire for a bad call. Whatever moments I remembered will be with me for the rest of my life as one of the most pathetic creatures on earth. A Sox fan.
James,
ReplyDeleteI think that this was a great Slice of Life. I also have a great love for the Sox and think that this must a very memorable moment in your life.
- Kevin V.
I thought that this was one of the best, because we can all relate to the Red Sox winning the ACLS and then moving on the the World Series. Great description of the moment!
ReplyDelete